The City of New Smyrna Beach is working in partnership with county, state and federal officials to respond and monitor issues associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. As far as actual rules put into place, they are as follows…
Since July 1st, 2020, there has been a resolution in place that encourages businesses to prohibit entry of any person not wearing a face covering. This is not enforced, nor does it carry any penalties. Exceptions include:
- Children under the age of two years
- Those observing social distancing in accordance with CDC guidelines
- Anyone for whom a face covering would cause impairment due to an existing health condition
- working in a business or profession who do not have interactions with others, maintain social distancing from others, or where use of a face covering would prevent them from performing the duties of the business or profession
- Those who are exercising while maintaining social distancing
- Anyone eating or drinking
- Anyone hearing impaired who needs to see the mouth of someone wearing a face covering to communicate
- Public safety, fire, and other life safety and health care personnel are governed by the personal protective equipment requirements of their respective agencies.
Businesses including barbershops, salons, restaurants and bars are all open once again with appropriate social distancing and precautionary measures in place. In order to assist restaurants expand seating options, temporary outdoor seating permits have been and are being issued. New Smyrna’s beaches remain open with encouragement to adhere to CDC social distancing guidelines.